I received my doctorate in Clinical Psychology, with an emphasis in Health Psychology, from the University of Florida, Department of Clinical and Health Psychology. I completed my residency at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, and my post-doctoral fellowship at the San Francisco VA Medical Center. The majority of my research is focused on weight management and related issues.
Approach to Therapy
I use evidence-based treatments, including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and mindfulness-based approaches to help clients meet their goals. These therapies involve a time-limited, solution-oriented approach to treatment.
Areas of Expertise
I provide individual therapy with adults. My areas of expertise include:
- Stress-eating and behavioral weight management. This approach is likely to be a good fit for those who have reasonable knowledge about what they "should" be eating, but struggle to make healthy choices consistently in their day-to-day lives.
- Work and relationship stress
- Anxiety, including social anxiety, "imposter syndrome," general worry and panic attacks
- Life and career transitions
- Adjustment to medical diagnosis and chronic health problems
Fees & Payment
My fees are based on $200 for a 50-minute session, and I currently take only Lyra insurance. For all other insurance companies I'm considered an out-of-network provider; however, many insurance plans reimburse a portion of out-of-pocket costs. If requested, I'm happy to provide a monthly Statement of Services for reimbursement purposes.
To request a free 15-minute phone consultation, please call or email me at (650) 642-3297 or DrValerieHoover@gmail.com. The purpose of the call is to learn a little more about your interest in therapy, and to help ensure a good fit. If it's a good match, we will then schedule our first visit, and I'll send you information for how to log in to the secure, online client portal.